Leica I – fixed lens
Produced from 1925 to 1932 in about 60,000 pcs. it is the first Leica camera to be launched on the market. The first examples had the times 1/25, 1/40, 1/60, 1/100, 1/200, 1/500, then replaced with 1/20, 1/30, 1/40, 1/60, 1 / 100, 1/200, 1/500.
The first 300 pcs. were equipped with the Anastigmat 50mm f3.5, later they were equipped with Elmax 50mm f3.5, of Elmar 50mm f3.5, of Hektor 50mm f2.5
Leica Luxus – fixed lens
Produced between 1929 and 1930 in only 60 copies, it is the gold plated version and covered in lizard skin in the red, green, blue and brown colors of the Leica I with fixed optics.
Equipped with a gold plated Elmar 50mm f3.5 lens, it was sold in a crocodile leather trunk in the same color as the upholstery.
Leica Dial-Compur e Ring-Compur
Produced between 1926 and 1931, this is a particular version of Leica I with a fixed optic equipped with a central shutter. In this device, the time ring has been replaced by a visible rotating disk and the shutter button is located on the lens. 638 pcs of this model named Dial-Compur were produced equipped with adjustment button and 969 pcs. named Ring-Compur with ring nut. In the picture beside the Ring-Compur model.
It’s the first 35mm camera with interchangeable optics. About 10,000 pieces were produced from 1930 until 1933. The first 3,000 pieces had the screw coupling not set to zero. The following specimens provided for the graft adjusted to zero which did not require the preventive calibration of the objective. The times start from 1/20 and reach up 1/500. The finish is only black. The case has no eyelets for the strap.
It is the gold plated version of the Leica I, covered in lizard skin in green, red, blue and brown colors. Only 35 pcs were produced in the interchangeable optics version. A gold-plated Elmar 50mm f3.5 or a gold-plated Hector 50mm f2.5 lens were provided with it besides a crocodile leather case in the same color as the camera casing.
Produced from 1932 to 1948, it is the first Leica camera to be equipped with a built-in rangefinder coupled to the optics and available in either a black or chrome finish. The shell is made of two pieces, the camera is equipped with the time ring from 1/20 to 1/500 and eyepieces spaced apart.
It too has no eyelets for the strap and it was produced in over 52,500 copies.
Leica II NewYork
in 1947, 200 Leica II cameras were assembled from the New York factory using the Leica III case which also included the long-time button and the appropriate hole was closed with a metal disk fixed with three screws. Furthermore, since the case of the Leica III was used for this model, the eyelets for the strap are present.
Due to the limited production of 200 pcs. it is a fairly rare device.
The Leica Standard, produced in approximately 27,000 pcs., stands out from the Leica I for the availability of the chrome finish in addition to the black finish and to have the removable film rewind button. The production period is 1932-1950. In 1948 a few thousand pieces in chrome finish were made with the case of the Leica III, had the closing disk and took the name of Leica Standard New York.
It is the first Leica camera equipped with long times button and recognizable by the special ring placed on the case. Produced from 1933 to 1939, it was made in either black or chrome finish. Times range from 1720 to 1/500 sec. From this model on, the eyelets for the strap are always present on the case.
The very first pieces produced were lacking them.
Leica 250 Reporter
Produced from 1934 to 1946, 984 pieces produced, almost all with black finish. With the exception of the first two products that derived from the LeicaII and therefore did not have long times, the following 246 pieces derived from the body of the Leica III and were therefore equipped with the short times button from 1/20 up to 1/500 sec., the remaining pieces instead came from the Leica IIIa and therefore had 1/1000 sec.
Produced from 1935 to 1950 in about 93,000 pcs. only 800 of which with black finish, it is considered very rare. The Leica IIIa differs from the previous ones for the shutter speed that reaches 1/1000 sec. and for the rewind button now removable (up to the Leica III it was fixed).
The eyepieces are still spaced.
Produced from 1938 to 1941 in about 32,000 pcs. exclusively in chrome finish it is characterized by the approached eyepieces and the insertion of bearings on the drive mechanism.
Exceptions are 5 pieces produced on commission for an American customer in black finish. They are considered today the rarest screw mount cameras ever.
Produced from 1940 to 1951 in about 135.000 pcs., it presents the shell made in one piece. There are two versions of this model: a pre-war one characterized by a step placed under the rewinding handle and a post-war one. During the war a red fabric that was not very successful was used for the curtains, the Leica IIIc with red curtains are today quite rare. In the same period 3415 cameras were made with a gray finish due to a lack of chromium and today considered very rare.
Produced from 1940 to 1945 in just 427 pcs, it is basically a Leica IIIc with self-timer. The features are the same: shell in one piece, approached eyepieces , times from 1/30 to 1/1000 sec. + long time button, removable rewind button.
As for the Leica IIIc, there is a pre-war and a post-war version (with and without step) and some surviving cameras with red curtains.
Produced from 1948 to 1951 in 11,000 pcs in chrome finish only, it is essentially a Leica IIIc (with approached eyepieces, a single-piece shell, removable rewind button) with no long-time button and a time ring that only arrives up to 1/500 sec.
Produced from 1949 to 1952 in 12,000 pcs. and chrome finish, it shows the time ring from 1/30 up to 1/500 sec. and the removable rewind button. With no viewfinder, rangefinder and long time button, it was created for technical and scientific use.
With the birth of this model, the first accessories for technical and scientific use also appear.
Produced from 1950 to 1952 in 71,000 pcs (1,000 of which made in Canada), it has a chrome finish, a time dial from 1/30 up to 1/1000 sec., long time button, eyepieces pushed together, removable rewind button, shell in one piece and it is the first Leica camera equipped with flash synchronization. The synchro ring has black numbers.
Produced from 1950 to 1963 in only 190 units, it is considered extremely rare. Made to expose 72 frames 18x24mm, it initially showed a flip-up mask on the eyepiece which was later replaced with a custom-sized window.
Not having had commercial success the limited production has decreed its value in collecting terms.
Produced from 1951 to 1952 in 8,400 pcs,
it has a chrome finish, a time dial from 1/30up to 1/500 sec. , a long time button, eyepieces pushed together, a removable rewind button, a single piece shell and a synchro ring with black numbers. It is essentially a simplified Leica IIIf.
Produced in 1952 in 1188 pcs, it shows as the Leica Ic a chrome finish, the time ring from 1/30 up to 1/500 sec. and the removable rewind button. With no viewfinder, telemeter and long-time button, it was created for technical and scientific use too, but it added the synchro outlet in its peculiar frontal position instead of the long-time button.
The synchro ring has black numbers.
Leica If – red dial
Produced from 1952 to 1958 in almost 16,000 pieces, it quickly replaces the previous Leica If with the adoption of the new international exposure times of 1/25, 1/50, 1/75, … to replace the previous 1/30, 1 / 40, 1/60, … on the short-time dial. From the previous one it also stands out for the red numbers on the synchro ring. Starting from Serial number 575.000 the device was equipped with a lightened shutter to allow the use of faster flash synchronization times.
Leica IIf – red dial
Produced from 1952 to 1956 in about 27,500 pcs, it shows eyepieces pushed together, removable rewinding button, shell in one piece, sync ring with red numbers and international exposure times. Starting from Serial number 675.001 exposure times are brought to 1/1000 sec. From serial number 611.001 the camera was equipped with a lightened shutter to allow the use of faster flash synchronization times.
Leica IIIf – red dial
Produced from 1952 to 1953 in about 54,000 pcs, it features long time button, eyepieces pushed together, removable rewind button, shell in one piece, synchro ring with red numbers and international exposure times up to 1/1000 sec.
1000 pieces were produced in Canada and they are therefore the most coveted by collectors.
Leica IIIf red dial+ self-timer
Produced from 1954 to 1957 in about 56.000 pieces, it shows exactly like the previous version the button of the long times, eyepieces pushed together, the removable rewinding button, a single piece shell, synchro ring with red numbers and international exposure times up to at 1/1000 sec., but it differs from the previous one for the presence of the self-timer.
Produced from 1957 to 1960 in about 39,000 pieces, it presents as the previous Leica IIIf the button of the long times, the eyepieces pushed together, the removable rewinding button, the shell in one piece, the international exposure times up to 1 / 1000 sec. and the self-timer. The novelty is given by the frames in the viewfinder for the 50mm and 90mm focal lengths.
Produced from 1957 to 1960 in about 6,000 pcs, without viewfinder, rangefinder and self-timer, it is a camera for scientific photography. The sensitivity indicator is located on the back of the device. There is also a variant of this latest model that decrees the end of Leica screw production: some pieces were produced without long times and flash synchronization and the number of this particular production is unknown, its rarity index is obviously very high.